Monday 21 February 2011

Soups for Flu/Colds - ABC Malaysian Soup Recipe


I lived with a Malaysian International student in my first year at our halls of residence. She was absolutely lovely. Better yet, she introduced me to Malysian food -  healthy, tasty and easy to make food. Everytime she cooked in our communal kitchen, the air would be filled with tantalising aromas; every sniff made my mouth water - I just had to know what she was cooking up. One dish that she introduced me to was the notorious Malay ABC Soup. I'm not sure what the 'ABC' stands for, but I reckon it has something to do with how easy this dish is to make (easier than your A, B, C's - get it??).

It is a soup, that with only a few ingredients, is rich in flavour and goodness to help fight those bouts of flu/cold that us British people can never escape.

So, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
4-5 halal chicken drumsticks, with skin on if you like
Roughly 4 large potatoes
2-3 carrots
1 tomato
2 big onions
3L of water
Soy sauce, or oyster sauce

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes

My recipe:
  1. Prepare the vegetables: peel and cut the potatoes and onions in wedges. Peel and cut the carrots in sections. Cut the tomato into quarters.
  2. Bring the water to boil in a pot. Put the chicken drumsticks in and cook for 30 minutes, or until done.
  3. Put in all the vegetables except the tomatoes. Cook until potatoes are done. Taste then season (salt and/or black pepper).
  4. Add the tomatoes when potatoes are done. Further cook for another 5 minutes.
  5. Serve piping hot, with small drops of soya sauce or oyster sauce in the serving bowl (my own addition).

This is a lovely, healthy soup, that will help get your defences up! Try it and let me know how it goes. I will be making this today as it is a miserable, cold and wet day in Manchester today, and a little comfort food will just do the trick for the revision I have waiting for me. I'll post pics for you later on.

Wish me luck with my upcoming exams!

1 comment: